When my parents first heard of Emma's diagnosis (and we told them soon after we found out), they wanted to be right here with us. Unfortunately, they live a 24 hour drive away. That wasn't possible, and it probably wouldn't have been for the best either. Tim and I needed to cope together. My mom was able to come out a month or so later to just be of help and both of my parents planned on coming out for Emma's birth and funeral.
Unfortunately, my dad (who has had poor health off and on for the last seven or so years) continued to get more sick. To the point where he was hospitalized several times and it was determined that he needed a new liver. He went through all the tests and procedures to qualify and is now on a liver transplant waiting list! Great news! Sadly, it means he can't travel anywhere that is more than 4 hours away from his hospital (24 minus 4 doesn't quite make the cut). We've known for a while that my dad wouldn't be able to make it out here.
My mom has been pretty torn about whether or not she could and should come out. She was originally planning on doing so, but my dad's health continues to deteriorate. Plus, she wants to be there for him when he goes in for his transplant surgery. A while back (before my dad's health got much worse) she bought a ticket to fly out here yesterday. On Sunday she told us that she would not be using that ticket. Then yesterday she and my dad went to the doctor's. While my dad was having a really rough time, they were told that he is dehydrated and that that should help with some of the trouble he is having. They were also told that he is probably a week or two out from being called to get a liver. That was enough positive encouragement for my mom. She quickly started taking up the many wonderful people out there on their offers of help and she bought a plane ticket to fly out today! She won't get here until this evening, but I'm really excited she's coming.
Also, my in-laws are coming to town as well (they live about a 13 hour car drive away (and in the opposite direction as my family)). Tim told me that they were debating between driving up all day Wednesday or splitting the trip into two days and doing part Wednesday and part Thursday. I was really nervous that things would go super well with the prepping and induction and that Emma would be born and pass away before they even got here. I was glad to hear later that they had decided to do the drive all on Wednesday and to get here that evening. Then last night, Tim called them to tell them that my mom was coming after all and they informed him that they were doing part of the drive today (Tuesday) and the other part tomorrow (Wednesday). Meaning they'll get here before I even have to go in to the hospital.
Finally, my sister Erika is flying in on Wednesday late afternoon. The weather is expected to be clear for the next ten days, so no one should have problems due to weather.
I'm so grateful that everyone is coming and that things are working out. I told Tim a couple of weeks ago that one thing I worried about happening to me was not relaxing and enjoying the time with Emma because my anxiety might get in the way of everything being perfect and going the way we want it to and for making sure everyone is pleased. I've been working really hard to do as much prep in advance and then to rid myself of responsibilities once Emma comes so that I really can feel peace and comfort.
I should also add that I have a brother and a sister that live nearby and that Tim also has a brother and sister that live nearby. We're glad that they've been here for us and that they don't have to travel to see Emma!